At the beginning of the year, none of us were prepared for what we would confront. And no one knew how many in our community would need our help.
Faced with a once-in-a-generation challenge, the Eastern Panhandle stepped up. United Way staff, donors, volunteers and our entire community came together in an unprecedented way. We helped our neighbors who were most impacted by the global pandemic and economic downturn get the relief and support they needed.
With your help, United Way of the Eastern Panhandle:
- Distributed 25 grants to local nonprofits for pandemic response and recovery from the UWEP COVID-19 Recovery Fund
- Supported 47 programs with grants from the UWEP Community Solutions Fund
- Collected and distributed food to area food pantries
- Provided fiscal services in our partnership with Christmas Cash for Kids, sharing the magic of the holiday season with 550 children
- Distributed over $170,000 in support to 211 and the Regional Resource Connection, assisting individuals and families throughout the pandemic
- Strengthened our nonprofit partnerships to better serve our community members
But there is so much more to do. Thousands in our community still struggle with unemployment, food insecurity, housing and health challenges. Many don’t know where their next meal is coming from, or how they will pay the rent or the bills. Even more are teetering on the edge without back-up savings. Kids are struggling with an unconventional school year. Adults are facing mental health challenges like anxiety and depression.
These are our neighbors. And they cannot wait any longer for relief, for support, for equality, for the opportunity to live a healthy, thriving life.
At United Way of the Eastern Panhandle, we are working toward a new tomorrow for our community, one that offers:
- Strong starts for children
- Safe homes and warm meals
- Greater equity
- New career paths
- Fresh starts
- Opportunities for physical activity
- Access to health care
- Thriving families
Let’s not put off until tomorrow the work that we can start today. Respond to the new year with hope, with possibility, with action.
Together, we can build a tomorrow that is better than yesterday. For every single one of us.
All we need to do is start today United.